Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Novel Music Tech #2: Shiny keytar from outer space?

I'm a fan of Jordan Rudess.  Dream Theater was my favorite band in high school and still are a source of amazement though I honestly haven't been keeping as up-to-date as I should.  "Evening With ..." was a great live album, blah, blah blah.

Anyway, it was through the Wizard (Rudess) that I first saw this fancy, expensive toy: the Zen Riffer.



When you mention "keytars," you think about the zany instrument so intertwined with the music of the 70's and 80's that it's difficult to take them seriously (which might be the appeal to so many of its players).  

With its streamlined design (which looks like the Brute Shot from the Halo games) and interface (AKA relative lack of the 19,203,982 buttons, switches, atomic clocks, and toaster ovens usually seen on fancy keyboards), it definitely offers a different vibe than the techno-nerd look of most keytars (unless you customize it to look like the Brute Shot form the Halo games).  



The founder, creator, and maker (pictured above ... I believe ...) customizes each Zen Riffer as per the wishes of the buyer (my dream design pictured below).  It's definitely an eye-catcher but as with most keytars, is currently pretty far down on the list of instruments I want to have in the immediate future.  Certainly wouldn't mind trying one though!  



Official Website: http://www.zenriffer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment